Rules, & Guidelines
Project Info & Classroom Teacher Resources
Teacher of the Year Award
to Frequently Asked Questions
are the items that the Display & Safety Committee will be reviewing
ALL projects for, after they have been set up on Thursday of the CSEF.
Please review this list of restrictions and plan accordingly. If an
exhibit does not pass inspection, a Special Display Restrictions Form
will be required. Remember, this is not intended to hinder your project
during judging, this is required by CSEF for other students' and the
publics' safety. Thank you for complying.
from floor to top, does not exceed 108 inches (274 cm).
from side to side, does not exceed 48 inches (122 cm).
from front to back, does not exceed 30 inches (76 cm).
is NOT attached to the table or to the wall.
At the CSEF, tables provided will not exceed a height of 36 inches (91 cm). Maximum project sizes include all project materials, supports, and demonstrations for the public and judges.
A student's research notebook may include his/her notes, research paper, background research , etc., but the first section MUST include the following in this order:
CSEF Abstract form
Checklist for Adult Sponsor Form 1
Checklist Form 1A
Approval Form(s) 1B
other pertinent Intel ISEF forms follow Form 1B
- Please note: completed Consent Forms should NOT be kept in the research notebook - these should be locked up with the Adult Sponsor at the place of research.
Photograph/Image Display Requirements:
Display of photographs other than that of the finalist(s) must have a photo release signed by the subject, and if under 18, also by the guardian of the subject. Sample text: "I consent to the use of visual images (photos, videos, etc.) involving my participation/my child's participation in this research."
Any photograph, visual image, chart, table and/or graph is allowed if:
- It is not deemed offensive or inappropriate (which includes images/photographs showing invertebrate or vertebrate animals/humans in surgical, necrotizing or dissection situations) by the SRC, Dispay & Safety Committee or CSEF. The decision made by any one of these groups is final.
- It has a credit line of origin ("Photo taken by . . ." or "Image taken from . . ." or "Graph/Chart/Table created by . . ."). If all images, etc. being displayed were taken or created by the finalist or are from the same source, one credit line prominently and vertically displayed on the backboard or tabletop is sufficient.
- It is from the Internet, magazine, newspaper, journal, etc. and a credit line is attached as noted above.
- It is a photograph or visual depiction of the finalist.
- It is a photograph or visual depiction for which a signed consent form is at the project.
NOT Allowed at the Project:
The following is a list of what cannot be displayed at the project:
medals, business cards, flags, logos, CDs, DVDs, flash drives, brochures, booklets, endorsements, giveaway items and/or acknowledgments
(graphic or written) unless the item(s) are an integral part of the
- Postal addresses, Internet, e-mail and/or social media addresses or codes, telephone and/or fax numbers of a finalist
- Active internet or e-mail connections as part of the display or operating the project
years' written material or visual depictions
on the vertical display board (exception: the project title may mention
which year the project is in)
NOT Allowed in the Display of the Project:
organisms, including plants
- Soil, sand, rock and/or waste samples even it permanently encased in a slab of acrylic
specimens or parts
vertebrate or invertebrate animals
or animal food
or animal parts or body fluids (for example.: blood, urine, etc.)
materials (living, dead or preserved) that are in their raw, unprocessed,
or non-manufactured state (exception: manufactured construction materials
used in building the project or display)
chemicals including water (projects may NOT use water in any form in a demonstration)
hazardous substances or devices (for example: poisons, drugs,
firearms, weapons, ammunition, reloading devices, lasers, etc.)
ice or other sublimating solids
items (for example: syringes, needles, pipettes, knives, etc.)
or highly flammable materials
with open-top cells
- Glass or glass objects unless deemed by the Display & Safety Committee to be an integral and necessary part of the project (for example: glass that is an integral part of a commercial product such as a computer screen)
apparatus deemed unsafe by the Scientific Review Committee, the Display
& Safety Committee or CSEF (for example: large vacuum tubes or
dangerous ray-generating devices, empty tanks that previously contained
combustible liquids or gases, pressurized tanks, etc.)
- Lasers or laser pointers
Other Safety Restrictions:
- Any inadequately insulated apparatus producing extreme temperatures that may cuase physical burns is not allowed.
- Any apparatus with unshielded belts, pulleys, chains, or moving parts with tension or pinch points must be for display only.
- Project sounds, lights, odors or any other display items must not be distracting.
- CSEF and/or the Display & Safety Committee reserve the right to remove any project for safety reasons or to protect the integrity of the CSEF and its rules and regulations.